Beat Seasonal Allergies with Beetroot
It should come as no surprise to you that adjusting your diet can adjust symptoms you experience caused by seasonal allergies. If it does come as a surprise then let go ahead and let that one sink in for a minute. Yes- what you eat can affect how your body reacts to allergens around you. Instead of reaching for Claritin or any other over the counter antihistamine- try instead, this time, to add some beetroot into your morning smoothie routine.
In the Well + Good article titled: Stuffy Nose? The Benefits of Beetroot Include Relief From Your Seasonal Allergies, Maya Feller, MS, RD, CDN, the registered dietitian behind Brooklyn-based Maya Feller Nutrition, talks about how important adjusting your diet can be to relieve annoying symptoms associated with seasonal allergies. “Beetroot can work as an antihistamine that quells inflammation, as they are a rich source of the antioxidant betalains. Research suggests that when consumed over time, betalains may be protective against oxidative stress.” —Maya Feller, RD
But hey- if the thought of a beet smoothie makes your stomach churn then no worries! You can buy beetroot powder and reap most of the benefits, with not as much of the "earthy" flavor.
You can't "beet" the benefits
- Beets may boost your athletic performance
- Beets are a great source of nutrients, including potassium, Vitamin C, fiber, folate, and more.
- Beets are both high in antioxidants which may play a role in combating heart disease, cancer and other diseases.
- Beets are high in fiber, so this smoothie will keep you feeling full and satisfied.
Beetroot Smoothie Recipe
Note: High powered blenders like the Vitamix can handle larger chunks of raw beets. For lower powered blenders you will want to cut up into smaller chunks.
- 1 cup frozen blueberries or mixed berries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk - or milk of your choice but vanilla makes it oh so good ;)
- 1 small RAW beet - peeled and diced (about 8 ounces) (can sub for 1 serving of beet powder)
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/4 cup yogurt - can use non-dairy yogurt to make vegan
- Optional: 3 tablespoons cooked oatmeal
- Optional mix-ins: adjust amount to your flavor preference: flaxseed hemp seed or chia seeds (note: chia seeds will thicken your smoothie if blended. You may want to sprinkle on the top after smoothie is